Friday, December 12, 2008

Television - Live at the Old Waldorf


One of Television's final concerts prior to reunion, this recording sounds like heaven after listening to 'The Blow-Up', the only other widely available Television live release. Make no mistake about it, Television truly were one of the greats. While Richard Lloyd (it might be Tom Verlaine, I'm not sure) appears to be slightly dominated in the mix, Billy Ficca and Fred Smith prove themselves to be one of the swingingest rhythm sections. The bass rocks jubilantly, while the snare and cymbal crack remain consistent.

Highlights include "The Dream's Dream", and, as always, "Little Johnny Jewel" and "Marquee Moon", easily one of my 10 favorite songs.

Also, if you have not already, I implore you to obtain a copy of 'Marquee Moon', one of my favorite records of all-time. So, if you feel you can trust my judgment,

entre

2 comments:

Zach said...

You got a shout-out:

http://www.thebathysphere.com/2008/12/2008-bathy-awards.html

Sweet blog. Made with the highest British attention to the wrong detail...

sledgbrainerd said...

I agree with you about Marquee Moon being one of the bests. Thanks for this because THE BLOW-UP makes me want to cry.